Three weeks after the death of former Chief of Staff, Abba Kyari, President Mohammadu Buhari has appointed 75 years old career diplomat and former University Lecturer: Ibrahim Gambari as his new Chief of Staff.
Mr Ibrahim Gambari is not new to Government appointment as he served in various capacities since 1984 to death.
He assumes office today as he takes part in the virtual meeting of the Federal Executive Council chaired by President Muhammadu Buhari.
Here are 10 things to know about the new Ibrahim Gambari
- His full name is Ibrahim Agoola Gambari and he was born in Kwara State in 1944
- He is from a Fulani ruling class and he is a nephew to the current Emir of Ilorin: Ibrahim Sulu Gambari
- He’s a graduate of King’s College Lagos, London School of Economics and University of Columbia where he bagged his Ph.D in Political Science/International Relations in 1974.
- Ibrahim Gambari is a former lecturer at the City University of New York and Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria.
- Former Minister of External Affairs between 1984/1985 under General Muhammadu Buhari military regime
- Former Nigeria’s Ambassador to the United Nations between 1990 and 1999
- President of UNICEF 1999
- Member of John Hopkins University’s Society of Scholars
- Chancellor of Kwara State University since 2013
- He holds the honour as the Commander of the Federal Republic (CFR) by the Nigerian Government.