AFL star Jordan De Goey is arrested for allegedly groping a woman in US

Advertisement

AFL star Jordan De Goey and a friend have been charged after allegedly groping a woman on a nightclub dancefloor and glassing a man.

The Collingwood player and friend Luke Dyson were arrested in New York about 2.20am on Saturday, local time.

Free agent De Goey and Dyson were at the PHD Rooftop Lounge at the Dream Hotel when they approached a woman on the dancefloor.

Advertisement
Jordan De Goey of Collingwood has been arrested in New York and charged over allegedly groping a woman

Jordan De Goey of Collingwood has been arrested in New York and charged over allegedly groping a woman

It is alleged they groped her before a 37-year-old friend of hers took offence to their behaviour and pushed De Goey away.

Dyson allegedly responded by hitting the man in the face with a glass bottle, splitting his lip.

De Goey then allegedly joined the melee before he and Dyson returned to the bar.

Advertisement

The woman then called 911 and police arrived to arrest the pair and charge them with assault and forcible touching. 

A statement issued by Collingwood football club on Sunday morning said they had not yet spoken to De Goey about the incident.

‘Collingwood is aware of a report involving Jordan De Goey. The club is attempting to contact Jordan, who is in the USA, to determine the facts of the matter. 

‘The club will not be in a position to comment further until it has done so,’ the statement said. 

Advertisement

The Herald Sun reported that Collingwood were not aware of the incident until it was reported in New York.

If there is an integrity incident involving police AFL players are expected to immediately contact their club about it. 

Two months ago, De Goey was slammed by a judge after he was slapped with more than $2,000 in fines for driving offences.

The Collingwood forward avoided conviction and having his licence suspended, despite pleading guilty to a string of driving offences dating back to 2019.

Advertisement

These included driving without displaying P plates, driving while suspended, using a mobile phone while being the driver of a stationary vehicle, failure to take licence to a specified place, speeding and driving a prohibited vehicle for a probationary licence.

Jordan De Goey of the Magpies (pictured front) handpasses the ball during the 2021 AFL Round 23 match between the Essendon Bombers and the Collingwood Magpies at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on August 22, 2021 in Melbourne

Jordan De Goey of the Magpies (pictured front) handpasses the ball during the 2021 AFL Round 23 match between the Essendon Bombers and the Collingwood Magpies at the Melbourne Cricket Ground on August 22, 2021 in Melbourne

‘He pleads guilty, which is indicative of remorse and insight into his offending,’ the magistrate noted.

‘If Mr de Goey drove safely in the first place, he would not had accumulated enough demerit points to see his licence suspended on 20 March 2019 for a three-month period.’

Advertisement

The magistrate also warned De Joey will have his licence suspended again if further driving breaches occur, NewsWire NCA reported.

The charges were from four incidents, including two from 2019 and another in February 2020 before De Joey was caught speeding at 93km/h in an 80km/h zone on Nepean Highway in Melbourne’s south-east last December.

The court heard police found the P-plater wasn’t permitted to be driving the sports car and didn’t have his P-plates displayed.

Jordan De Goey at a Collingwood training session in Melbourne on June 3, 2021

Jordan De Goey at a Collingwood training session in Melbourne on June 3, 2021

Advertisement

De Goey told police the car was not his and that P-plates were on his other vehicle, the court heard.

The AFL star was previously caught texting on his mobile phone while stationary at traffic lights in South Yarra in July 2019 while his licence was suspended due to accrued demerit points.

He was also pulled over in February 2020 for failing to display P-plates while riding a motorcycle.

De Goey had a separate charge of sexual assault withdrawn in August, where police were ordered to pay his legal costs.

Advertisement

The alleged incident in 2015 was investigated by the AFL’s integrity unit in 2018 and forwarded to police.

It took police until July last year to charge the star footballer, who was in Queensland’s hub at the time.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Similar Posts