AFL star Jordan De Goey has been stood down by Collingwood after he and a friend allegedly groped a woman in a New York City nightclub before glassing a man.
The Magpies forward and Luke Dyson were arrested at about 2.20am on Saturday, local time at the PHD Rooftop Lounge at the Dream Hotel.
De Goey, 25, and Dyson, 28, approached a 35-year-old woman on the dancefloor where they allegedly groped her.
A 37-year-old friend of the woman took offence to their behaviour and pushed De Goey away, before he was allegedly glassed by Dyson with De Goey joining the melee.
Collingwood Football Club club confirmed they were standing down their star indefinitely on Sunday afternoon, with De Goey due to face court in person on December 8.
‘The club will continue to pay De Goey under the terms of his contract until such time as an outcome to proceedings against him in the United States is reached or a more complete account of events is established,’ the statement reads.
‘In the interim, De Goey will not be permitted to train or play with Collingwood or make use of club resources, staff or facilities.
Collingwood player Jordan De Goey prepares for a night out in New York. He was later arrested and charged after an incident at a nightclub
The club said it was ‘deeply disappointed in De Goey’s behaviour, the latest in a string of incidents that have plagued the 25-year-old’s young career.
They say they are removing De Goey from club activities until his legal situation is resolved and they can make a more informed decision on his future with the club.
‘Collingwood is deeply disappointed by reports and events of the last 48 hours involving De Goey in the US,’ Collingwood said Sunday.
‘Given the circumstances, the club believes it is appropriate to remove him from the AFL program.
‘Collingwood has been in contact with De Goey and his management today and has explained to both its decision.’
The woman called the US emergency services number 911 and police arrived to arrest the pair and charged them with assault and forcible touching.
New York Police said the parties involved in the incident did not previously know each other and were all were intoxicated.
The police said the 37-year-old man suffered pain and swelling to his lips and body, and that the 35-year-old woman was distressed but not physically injured.
The man and woman both reportedly refused medical attention.
De Goey was allowed to leave Australia with a permit due to his sponsorship with the Monster Energy soft drink company.
Jordan De Goey (pictured right) and a friend at a New York nightclub
The Herald Sun reported that Collingwood were not aware of the incident until it was reported in New York.
If there is an integrity incident involving police AFL players are expected to immediately contact their club about it.
The AFL issued a statement on the issue on Sunday morning after hearing about it from Collingwood.
‘The AFL has been contacted by the Collingwood Football Club and made aware of a report involving player Jordan De Goey, who is currently overseas,’ it said.
‘Collingwood is attempting to contact Jordan to obtain further information. The AFL Integrity Department will look into the matter once more information is obtained, until then the AFL is not in a position to make comment at this stage.’
Two months ago, De Goey was slammed by a judge after he was fined more than $2,000 for driving offences.
The Collingwood forward avoided conviction and having his licence suspended, despite pleading guilty to driving offences dating back to 2019.
Jordan De Goey of Collingwood has been arrested and charged following an incident in a New York nightclub
These included driving without displaying P plates, driving while suspended, using a mobile phone while being the driver of a stationary vehicle, failure to take licence to a specified place, speeding, and driving a prohibited vehicle for a probationary licence.
‘He pleads guilty, which is indicative of remorse and insight into his offending,’ the magistrate noted.
‘If Mr de Goey drove safely in the first place, he would not had accumulated enough demerit points to see his licence suspended on 20 March 2019 for a three-month period.’
The magistrate also warned De Goey will have his licence suspended again if further driving breaches occur, NewsWire NCA reported.
The charges were from four incidents, including two from 2019 and another in February 2020 before De Goey was caught speeding at 93km/h in an 80km/h zone on the Nepean Highway in Melbourne’s south-east last December.
The court heard police found the P-plater wasn’t permitted to be driving the sports car and didn’t have his P-plates displayed.
Jordan De Goey at a Collingwood training session in Melbourne on June 3, 2021
De Goey told police the car was not his and that P-plates were on his other vehicle, the court heard.
The AFL star was previously caught texting on his mobile phone while stationary at traffic lights in South Yarra in July 2019 while his licence was suspended due to accrued demerit points.
He was also pulled over in February 2020 for failing to display P-plates while riding a motorcycle.
De Goey had a separate charge of sexual assault withdrawn in August, where police were ordered to pay his legal costs.
The alleged incident in 2015 was investigated by the AFL’s integrity unit in 2018 and forwarded to police.
It took police until July last year to charge the star footballer, who was in Queensland’s hub at the time.
Jordan De Goey of Collingwood has been arrested in New York and charged over allegedly groping a woman