Schoolgirl, 13, who suffered brain damage when she was ‘picked up and dropped on her head’ speaks first words from hospital bed to ask for a chocolate milkshake – as teenage boy is released on bail
- Neeka Atkinson suffered major injuries at Archbishop Sentamu Academy in Hull
- She was placed into an induced coma after she injured in the school playground
- Her sister Alisha Atkinson wrote online that Neeka is able to say a few words
- She said Neeka is upset that her body isn’t working following the incident
The family of a Hull schoolgirl who was allegedly picked up and ‘dropped on the head’ in a shocking playground incident are raising money ahead of her transfer to a Sheffield Hospital.
Neeka Atkinson suffered a brain injury on Friday, July 8 at Archbishop Sentamu Academy after she was allegedly dropped head first onto a concrete floor. The 13-year-old girl was rushed to hospital after she started fitting.
She was put in an induced coma and a CT scan revealed she had a blood clot in her brain. After a lengthy surgery, Neeka was in a stable condition but the left side of her body was paralysed and she struggled to speak.
Neeka Atkinson suffered a brain injury on Friday, July 8 at Archbishop Sentamu Academy after she was allegedly dropped head first onto a concrete floor
Neeka’s family said the teenager has regained limited speech following the incident but requires long term rehabilitation therapy
In a Facebook update, her sister Alisha Atkinson said: ‘Neeka is able to say a few words today and has been asking for chocolate milkshakes.
‘She remembers who her family are, she’s really upset as her body isn’t working and it’s hard to come to terms with. She’s completely paralysed down her left side at present and will be in an MRI at some point.’
She said Neeka will eventually be moved to a specialist hospital in Sheffield when her condition improves enough to begin long term rehabilitation.
Alisha said her sister will be moved to Sheffield ‘when she’s stable’ to learn to walk and talk properly again. She added: ‘I’ve let her know of all your support and kindness and her face lit up, she’s a little fighter!
‘Anyone that needs to drop cards off as I’ve had a few messages, direct message for my address and I’ll be happy to get them to her! And thank you for all the support on her GoFundMe. We’ve nearly hit our goal.’
The family set up the GoFundMe page ahead of Neeka’s transfer to a Sheffield hospital for rehabilitation. On the fundraising page, Alisha added: ‘Any donations will go towards accommodation for my nana to stay there long-term to support Neeka and help her make a full recovery but it will take a very long time to come on.
‘It will also help cover costs of equipment she will need in the long term in order to regain her mobility back. Anything left over will be kept for Neeka to support her in the future. Any help is appreciated thank you.’
On Tuesday, July 12, Humberside Police said a teenage boy accused of dropping Neeka was arrested on Friday after the incident. He was interviewed in connection with the incident on Friday before being released on bail whilst the investigation continues.
A teenage boy was questioned by detectives investigating the incident at Archbishop Sentamu Academy in east Hull. The boy has been released on bail while enquires continue
A Humberside Police statement said: ‘Investigations are continuing after a 13-year-old girl was injured in an incident at a Hull school on Friday 8th July. We received a call shortly after 4pm reporting that the girl had suffered a serious injury, reportedly caused by a boy who is known to her, earlier that day whilst at school.
‘She was taken to a local hospital, where she has been responding to treatment and currently remains in a stable condition. The matter is being investigated by detectives and a number of enquiries have already been carried out to establish the full circumstances surrounding the incident.
‘A teenage boy was arrested and interviewed in connection with the incident on Friday before being released on bail whilst our investigation continues..’ Police have urge anyone with information on the incident to call their non-emergency number 101 line quoting reference 22000031945.
The school previously issued a statement following the incident. Helen Winn, who started as Executive Principal on Monday, said: ‘We are all desperately worried about our 13-year-old student following an incident last week. All our thoughts are with her, her family and her friends at this very difficult time.
‘We are enormously grateful for the outstanding work of our healthcare professionals who we know are doing all they can for her. Because of the police involvement in the case, we are unable to say anything further at this stage.’