Ricky Martin’s lawyer blasted allegations that the singer had an incestious affair with his 21-year-old nephew and claims the young man needs urgent help over mental health struggles.
Attorney Marty Singer and Martin, 50, have denied claims from the Latin singer’s nephew, Dennis Yadiel Sanchez, that the two were ever in a relationship.
Martin is ultimately accused of ‘exercising physical and psychological attacks’ on Sanchez during their seven-month affair, which ended about two months ago.
In response to the allegations, Singer told the New York Post: ‘Unfortunately, the person who made this claim is struggling with deep mental health challenges. Ricky Martin has, of course, never been — and would never be — involved in any kind of sexual or romantic relationship with his nephew.’
The idea is not only untrue, it is disgusting,’ he added. ‘We all hope that this man gets the help he so urgently needs.
‘But, most of all, we look forward to this awful case being dismissed as soon as a judge gets to look at the facts.’
Martin’s brother, Eric Martin, had identified the alleged victim as Sanchez, Spanish news outlet Marca reported, the son of Vanessa Martin, the pop singer’s half-sister.
Pictured alongside his husband, Jwan Yosef, and their two eldest sons, Matteo and Valentino, in September 2019, Ricky Martin has been accused of incest by his 21-year-old nephew and could face up to 50 years in prison if convicted, reports indicate
Martin, 50, previously called the abuse allegations ‘completely false and fabricated.’ He is pictured Friday on the set of his new Apple TV+ comedy ‘Mrs. American Pie’
The singer was hit with a restraining order stemming from a domestic violence incident in Puerto Rico earlier this month, however the victim’s identity had been withheld.
A representative for the married father-of four, 50, previously called the abuse allegations ‘completely false and fabricated’ in a statement provided to People earlier this month.
The star, who was spotted in Los Angeles Friday on the set of his new AppleTV+ miniseries, is expected in Puerto Rican court on July 21 for his trial.
Martin’s accuser, believed to be Sanchez, filed a restraining order against the singer on July 1 under Puerto Rico’s domestic violence law.
The order prohibited Martin from contacting or calling the petitioner who allegedly ‘fears for his safety.’
According to the order – which was reviewed by El Vocero, a Puerto Rican newspaper – Martin and Sanchez broke up two months ago after dating for seven months.
Sanchez alleged Martin didn’t accept the separation and has been seen loitering near his house on least three occasions, according to the order reviewed by El Vocero, a Puerto Rican newspaper.
He also alleged Martin had been ‘consuming large amounts of alcohol and drugs.’
The singer’s attorneys have denied the allegations and are preparing their defense against Sanchez, who reportedly was recently been denounced by a woman after he allegedly harassed her and ‘threatened to destroy her life.’
Martin’s legal team told DailyMail.com the accuser is ‘struggling with deep mental health challenges’ and outright dismissed the ‘disgusting’ allegations.
‘Ricky Martin has, of course, never been – and would never be – involved in any kind of sexual or romantic relationship with his nephew,’ lawyer Martin Singer said Friday.
‘The idea is not only untrue, it is disgusting. We all hope that this man gets the help he so urgently needs. But, most of all, we look forward to this awful case being dismissed as soon as a judge gets to look at the facts.’
Eric Martin echoed the lawyer’s claim, telling The Latin Post that his nephew suffers from ‘mental problems’ and he is ‘very sure that his young relative was not telling the truth.’
A representative for Martin also confirmed to DailyMail.com late Friday night that his accuser is a biological relative, disputing initial reports the nephew was the child of a step-sibling.
The singer’s brother, Eric Martin, identified his nephew, Dennis Yadiel Sanchez, as being Martin’s accuser. Eric and Ricky are pictured together in a photo posted to Facebook in 2014
Eric and Ricky Martin are pictured alongside their family members in 2014
The protective order was signed on July 1, after authorities visited Martin’s neighborhood in the north coastal town of Dorado to try to serve him, police spokesman Axel Valencia previously told The Associated Press.
Valencia noted the person who filed for the restraining order didn’t contact police, which would have involved prosecutors determining if there was enough evidence to file charges. Rather the request went straight to the court.
Puerto Rican law takes allegations of incest very seriously. If the alleged romance between Martin and Sanchez is confirmed, the singer could face up to 50 years in prison for incest charges.
Martin addressed the accusations on Twitter on July 3, saying: ‘The protection order entered against me is based on completely false allegations, so I will respond through the judicial process with the facts and the dignity that characterize me.
‘Because it is an ongoing legal matter, I cannot make detailed statements at this time. I am grateful for the countless messages of solidarity, and I receive them with all my heart.’
He has not made any additional statements regarding the accusations.
Martin addressed the accusations on Twitter on July 3 calling them ‘completely false’
Martin has been married to Syrian-born Swedish painter, Jwan Yosef, since 2017.
The couple shares four children: 13-year-old twins, Valentino and Matteo, as well as Lucia, three and Renn, also three.
In June 2021, Martin talked about his family while shutting down rumors they were expecting another child.
‘I don’t hide anything nowadays. We are not pregnant,’ Martin told People at the time. ‘Right now, we’re dealing with a pair of twins and a pair of Irish twins because Lucia and Renn are only nine months apart. And they’re overwhelming, but we’re strong and healthy.’
Still, he said they wanted ‘more’ kids in the future, and they have ’embryos frozen.’
Ricky Martin embraces his son Renn in a photograph posted to Instagram in January 2021
Ricky Martin is pictured with his daughter Lucia on Dec. 24, 2021. The pair were celebrating their joint Christmas Eve birthdays
Martin welcomed Matteo and his twin brother Valentino in 2008. The former Menudo member’s eldest children were born via gestational surrogacy.
At the time, the singer pointed out he had considered adoption, although he chose to work with a surrogate.
He later began a relationship with Yosef, his now-husband, and the twins’ second father, in 2016. The couple got engaged that same year and they tied the knot shortly thereafter.
The happy couple announced that they had welcomed a daughter named Lucia in December 2018.
The singer went on to reveal he and his husband were looking to add another child to their lives in September of 2019. Martin and Yosef, 37, subsequently welcomed a son named Renn the following month.
The performer discussed his earlier years during an interview with Out and recalled that he had previously been fearful of not being able to have a family due to his sexuality prior to his coming out.
‘Many years I dreamt of being a father, and many, many, many times I went through this grieving process of I am gay, I am a closeted gay man, and I’m not going to be able to be a daddy,’ he said.
He pointed out that, although he supported the idea of adoption for LGBT+ couples, he was aware of the hardships that many of them faced.
‘Obviously adoption is an option and it’s very beautiful, but unfortunately for gay men it’s very difficult to adopt in some countries,’ he said.
Ricky Martin (right) and painter Jwan Yosef (left) have been married since 2017 and share four children together. The couple is pictured at a Vanity Fair event in September 2018
Martin was hit with the restraining order just days after his ex-business manager Rebecca Drucker announced she was suing him for shorting her $3 millionfor the services she provided.
Drucker said she initially worked for the entertainer between the years of 2014-2018, TMZ reported.
Drucker’s legal team claims Martin ‘completely and maliciously refused to pay Rebecca the millions of dollars in commissions that he owes her,’ Billboard reported, citing court docs in the case filed in Los Angeles Central District Court.
The San Juan, Puerto Rico native subsequently contacted Drucker in May of 2020 during a timeframe when his ‘personal and professional life [were] in absolute turmoil,’ and she effectively got his career back on track, Drucker alleged.
Drucker said in court docs she provided ‘invaluable services as his manager and top advisor’ in assisting Martin in regards to deals involving recording contracts, tours and sponsorships, assisting him in making millions via a North American tour he was on with Enrique Iglesias last year. The tour grossed $19 million, Billboard reported, citing its 2021 Year-End Boxscore chart.
Drucker also alleged she helped navigate the singer through a potential career crisis in September of 2020 when she linked him with with an effective legal team amid purported threats of ‘an unspecified career-ending allegation.’
The ‘Shake Your Bon-Bon’ singer ’emerged unscathed and proceeded with his professional resurgence’ with Drucker’s help, she told the court.
Drucker also told the court Martin was dishonest and manipulative in his dealing with her, and she resigned from working with him this past April.
She said that Martin had threatened her to not speak about their business together and unsuccessfully asked her to sign a nondisclosure agreement.
Drucker, who wants a trial by jury, is requesting $3 million and punitive damages in her case against the musical artist.
Martin, born Enrique Martín Morales, rose to fame at age 12 when he joined Puerto Rican boy band Menudo in 1984. He is pictured, on far right, with the band in the 1980s
Martin, born Enrique Martín Morales, rose to fame at age 12 when he joined Puerto Rican boy band Menudo in 1984. Industry experts allege his time Menudo was what helped launch his major music career.
He left the group five years later to pursue a solo career and is now regarded as Menudo’s most famous member.
The singer released a few albums in Spanish during the 1990s before he was selected to compose La Copa de la Vida for the 1998 FIFA World Cup. He later performed the song at the 41st Grammy Awards.
Martin gained global recognition with the release of his 1999 hit Livin’ la Vida Loca, which opened doors for his numerous English-language albums.
The singer is credited with selling more than 85 million albums worldwide and has earned more than 200 awards for his music, The Famous People reported.
He also launched a successful acting career. He was previously a star on General Hospital and appeared in Les Miserables on Broadway.
He earned an Emmy nomination in 2018 for his portrayal of Antonio D’Amico in the Ryan Murphy FX miniseries The Assassination of Gianni Versace.
Martin currently has a number of projects in the works, including an upcoming EP, and a role on Apple TV+ comedy Mrs. American Pie, which is based on Juliet McDaniel’s 2018 novel.
In the miniseries, Martin takes on the role of Robert, a ‘confirmed bachelor,’ who teams up with Kristen Wiig’s Maxine after her husband walks out on her during Thanksgiving 1969.
Devastated at the loss of her marriage and her social circle, Maxine asks Robert to create a fake family with her so Maxine can compete in the Mrs American Pie beauty contest.
Martin was hit with the restraining order just days after his ex-business manager Rebecca Drucker announced she was suing him for shortening her $3 million. Martin is pictured with his husband, Jwan Yosef, at the 2019 LACMA Art + Film Gala in Los Angeles
In addition to his successful entertainment career, Martin has become an advocate for LGBTQ rights around the globe.
Last month, the openly gay singer revealed he was traumatized when he was encouraged to come out during a television interview with Barbara Walters on The View in 2000.
‘When she dropped the question, I felt violated because I was just not ready to come out. I was very afraid. There’s a little PTSD with that,’ Martin said during a June interview for the annual Pride issue of People.
Martin came out as gay in 2010 with a statement on his website.
At the time, Martin said: ‘I am proud to say that I am a fortunate homosexual man. I am very blessed to be who I am.’
A decade prior to his coming out, the Livin’ La Vida Loca singer had sat down with Walters, now 92, at the height of his fame to chat about his life and career.
But he was stunned when the legendary interviewer quizzed him on his sexuality.
Ricky Martin told People magazine’s Pride issue he suffered post-traumatic stress disorder after he was pressured to come out in a 2000 Barbara Walters interview
Walters asked: ‘The rumors that talk about your sexual orientation, you must be aware of these?’
‘Do they hurt? How do you handle them?’ she pressed.
Martin explained: ‘The word says it, ‘intimacy.’ Sexuality and homosexuality should not be a problem for anybody. I think that sexuality is something that each individual should deal with in their own way, and that’s all I have to say about that.’
Walters, who retired and disappeared from TV screens in 2015, responded: ‘Well, you know you could stop these rumors. You could say, as many artists have, ‘yes I am gay’ or you could say ‘no I’m not’ or you could leave it, as you are, ambiguous.
‘I don’t want to put you on the spot and it’s in your power to do it and I’m bringing it up with you Ricky because you know that this is being said and you’re even being named.’
Martin affirmed: ‘Thank you so much for giving me the opportunity to express the rumors but, for some reason, I just don’t feel like it.’
The Latin star says he suffered post-traumatic stress disorder as a result of being put on the spot in such a public forum as he was not ready to discuss his sexuality so openly.
Martin is now open about his sexuality but wasn’t comfortable talking about it previously