Scam alert: How to lock your SIM card and protect your phone from hackers
Against the backdrop of rising identity theft and scamming activities of fraudsters, there’s a need to find the best way to secure your phone and secure your information in the event of theft.
If you follow the process below, then you can set a password for your SIM card against phone thieves who may want to use the USSD code to carry out unauthorised transactions from your bank account.
1. Go to SETTINGS on your phone.
2. Go to SECURITY & LOCATION under SETTINGS
3. Go to SIM CARD LOCK.
4. Click on LOCK SIM CARD.
5. Enter Your mobile network default SIM CARD PIN.
* For MTN users, it is “00000”
* For AIRTEL users, it is “1111”.
* For 9mobile users, it is “0000”.
* For GLO users, it is “0000”.
6. After entering your MOBILE NETWORK DEFAULT PIN, you will see “CHANGE SIM PIN”, click on it to change to your unique 4-digit pin.
7. Confirm your unique 4-digit pin by entering it again & YOU ARE DONE.
Anytime you switch “On” your phone, you’ll be prompted to enter your SIM CARD PIN.
Just enter your unique 4-digit pin and you’re good to go.
With the activation of SIM LOCK on your phone, your money can not be withdrawn from your bank account through your SIM because your SIM will not be activated without your unique pin which is known only to you.