Sydney news: Tragic development as worker who caught fire while cleaning restaurant dies

Sydney news: Tragic development as worker who caught fire while cleaning restaurant dies 2
Advertisement

Tragic development as worker who caught fire while cleaning restaurant dies after horrified diners tried to hold him up to sprinklers to cool his body

  • A restaurant worker has died in hospital after catching fire cleaning restaurant
  • The 24-year-old was cleaning floors at On Sunset restaurant in Parramatta   
  • The cleaning liquid was reportedly ignited due to an issue with the dishwasher
  • Workers held the man up to the sprinklers as they waited for emergency services
Advertisement

Advertisement

A hospitality worker has died after he caught on fire from a reported explosion inside a popular Sydney restaurant.

The 24-year-old man was cleaning the floor at On Sunset Lebanese restaurant in Parramatta on Tuesday night when a spark ignited from the cleaning agent he was using.

The employee suffered critical burns to 30 per cent of his body including his arms, face and chest. It’s believed to have been a flammable vapour which caught fire from an electrical issue with the dishwasher.

On Sunset was full of diners eating inside at the time, including some shocked onlookers who attempted to hold the man to the fire sprinklers to cool his body.

Advertisement

A worker who witnessed the tragedy told the Daily Telegraph last month she had seen the young man taking a cocktail order moments before he was set alight.

A hospitality worker has died after he caught on fire inside the On Sunset restaurant (pictured) in Parramatta

A hospitality worker has died after he caught on fire inside the On Sunset restaurant (pictured) in Parramatta

The 24-year-old suffered severe burns to his arms, face and chest after the cleaning agent caught fire

The 24-year-old suffered severe burns to his arms, face and chest after the cleaning agent caught fire

Colleagues held the man’s body under sprinklers as they waited for police and paramedics to arrive.

Advertisement

Officers and NSW ambulance crews arrived at the establishment around 9:50pm.

The young man was treated by paramedics at the scene before he was placed into an induced coma and transported to hospital.

He tragically passed away on Thursday. The restaurant was closed for several days after the incident.

It’s believed the worker was cleaning the restaurant floor and caught alight when the cleaning liquid he was using ignited due to an electrical issue with a nearby dishwasher. 

Advertisement

‘This patient was in significant pain when we arrived after having suffered burns to around 30 percent of his body,’ said NSW Ambulance Inspector Brian Parsell.

‘We were able to stabilise the patient and placed him into an induced coma at the scene before transporting him to Concord Hospital for further care.’

‘This is a reminder to the public of the dangers present when working with commercial and domestic gases, we ask that you please take care around open flames and flammable liquids at all times.’

Emergency services were called to the restaurant after reports of an explosion. Police and paramedics arrived around 9:50pm on Tuesday night

Emergency services were called to the restaurant after reports of an explosion. Police and paramedics arrived around 9:50pm on Tuesday night

Advertisement
The fire was caused when the cleaning agent the man used to clean the floors was ignited by an electrical issue with the restaurant's dishwasher

The fire was caused when the cleaning agent the man used to clean the floors was ignited by an electrical issue with the restaurant’s dishwasher

Fire investigators and police conducted investigations at the establishment on Tuesday and Wednesday

Fire investigators and police conducted investigations at the establishment on Tuesday and Wednesday

NSW Police confirmed there was about 15 to 20 diners inside the restaurant – all of whom were forced to evacuate.

There were about 150 residents living in apartments above the restaurant who were also forced to evacuate after the fire. 

Advertisement

Fire investigators and police officers conducted investigations at the restaurant on Tuesday and Wednesday. 

The man is in hospital in a serious condition. 

Safe Work NSW is investigating the matter.

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement


Advertisement