Two teenagers who stabbed a rival to death after one of the killers was ‘belittled’ in a Snapchat video have both been jailed for least 25 and a half years.
Hussein Al-Saabri, 23, died after he was knifed in the stomach in front of horrified shoppers outside Debenhams in St Anns Shopping Centre in Harrow, northwest London.
Rickarlo Williams and Jahni Menzie-Samuels, both 19, were armed with a Rambo knife and a machete when they hacked Mr Al-Saabri in front of horrified onlookers.
Jaffar Musair was also left with seven stab wounds while Hamoud Al-Hassona suffered an injury to his back after they too were attacked on 13 December 2020, the Old Bailey heard.
Rickarlo Williams (left) and Menzie-Samuels, both 19, were armed with a Rambo knife and a machete when they hacked Mr Al-Saabri to death outside Debenhams in St Anns Shopping Centre
The knife attack was an act of revenge some nine months after Williams was abused on a bus.
A Snapchat video shows Williams in his seat involved in a verbal altercation with a group of youths who film him as they call him a ‘f*****g p***y’.
One of the teenagers yells at him: ‘Sit there like a little b***h then, you f****g p***y blud.
‘I’m gonna start f*****g swinging bro, get off the bus.
‘You’re not on s**t… you’re not on s***… bring it bro. You’re s**t’.
Williams and Menzie-Samuels denied but were convicted by a jury of murder, attempted murder, wounding with intent and possessing an offensive weapon.
Menzie-Samuels’ mother, Karlene Joseph, 43, gave police a false alibi by claiming her son was with her at the time of the stabbings.
Karlene Joseph, 43, lied to the police and said her son Jahni Menzie-Samuels was having dinner with her on the night that 23-year-old Hussein Al-Saabri was murdered
Joseph, of Harrow, denied but was convicted of perverting the course of justice. She has already been jailed for two years.
Brian O’Neill, QC, prosecuting, said the three young men all suffered serious knife injuries during the pitched battle in Harrow town centre.
‘Their attackers were the first two defendants, Rickarlo Williams and Jahni Menzie-Samuels,’ he said.
‘They jointly attacked the deceased and members of his group in what you will hear appears to have been a planned revenge attack for a previous incident in which Williams had been mocked.’
The two killers had arrived in the area in a taxi booked by Menzie-Samuels.
‘Mr Williams, who is the taller of the two, and obviously so when we see the figure on CCTV, was carrying a Rambo knife, quite an unpleasant looking weapon, the prosecutor said.
‘Mr Menzie-Samuels, the shorter one, was carrying a machete, quite a long-bladed machete as you will see.
‘Williams was slightly in the lead as the two of them approached the group at the benches and attacked them without warning
‘During the attack Al-Saabri suffered a single fatal stab wound.
Hussain Al Saabri, 23, was found with fatal stab injuries near St Anns Shopping Centre in Harrow on December 13
A police officer stands at the scene after the 23-year-old was stabbed to death in north west London
‘He ran from the scene, not very far, to a nearby Tesco Express store, where he collapsed and died.
‘The cause of death was a single stab wound to the abdomen.’
Williams stabbed Mr Musair and continued slashing him as the other teenager fell to the ground, with Menzie-Samuels also striking him.
Such was the ferocity of the attack that the tip of Williams’ blade broke off and remained in Mr Musair’s body.
Williams also knifed Mr Al-Hassona in the back as he tried to flee the scene.
Forensic teams investigate the area along St Anns Road in Harrow following the attack on December 13
The court heard Williams was ‘effectively a trafficked child’ as part of county lines drug dealing.
Menzie-Samuels, of Harrow, northwest London, and Williams, of Loughborough, Leicestershire, both denied but were convicted of murder, attempted murder wounding with intent and possessing an offensive weapon.
They were each given life sentences with a minimum 25-and-a-half years.
Detective chief inspector Claire Hine, Specialist Crime Command [Homicide], said: ‘The level of violence used against all three victims was savage, and tragically it cost Hussain his life. Above all today, my thoughts are with his family and friends.
‘No court result can bring Hussain back, but I hope that these convictions provide some measure of comfort in seeing justice done.
‘Williams and Menzie-Samuels will rightly have a long time in prison to reflect on their life choices and the sickening level of violence they used against Hussain and the two teenagers.
‘Their actions were as cowardly and pathetic as they were inexcusably violent. The Met’s commitment to tackling violence is total – both in bringing offenders to justice and fulfilling our wider role of keeping Londoner safe. We are all working around the clock to continue reducing violence in the capital.
‘Members of the public and young people in particular can help protect their families by telling police or Crimestoppers anonymously about the violent men who intimidate people in their communities.
‘The Met will arrest and charge people who commit violent offences, and the earlier we can build up our intelligence picture and gather evidence against people who are heading down a criminal path the more likely it is that we can intervene before offending escalates to the horrific levels seen in this awful case.’