Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting our website.

Tyson Fury finally breaks his silence over advisor Daniel Kinahan

Tyson Fury finally breaks his silence over advisor Daniel Kinahan 2

Heavyweight champion boxer Tyson Fury has insisted ‘It’s none of my business’ after the US government put a $5million bounty on information leading to the arrest of his former advisor Daniel Kinahan.

Last week, the American government announced sanctions against seven members of the Kinahan organised crime group on the grounds of international drug smuggling and money laundering.  

Advertisement

Dubai-based Daniel Kinahan was directly named by the US Treasury, who said in a statement that he is ‘believed to run the day-to-day operations of the organisation’. 

A major unprecedented joint action by American, Irish and British authorities have targeted the international cartel as part of its efforts to dismantle it.

US ambassador to Ireland Claire Cronin said the American authorities were offering the $5million reward for information that will lead to the ‘financial destruction’ of the Kinahan gang or the arrest and conviction of its leaders. 

Advertisement

A number of businesses were also identified as being associated with the Kinahan operation. 

Tyson Fury broke his silence on former advisor Daniel Kinahan ahead of his Dillian Whyte fight

Tyson Fury broke his silence on former advisor Daniel Kinahan ahead of his Dillian Whyte fight

Fury (right) was pictured with Kinahan (left) - who had a $5m bounty placed on him by US officials last week - in Dubai in February

Fury (right) was pictured with Kinahan (left) – who had a $5m bounty placed on him by US officials last week – in Dubai in February 

Advertisement

Fury, who defends his titles against Dillian Whyte at Wembley on Saturday night, had once hailed Kinahan as a ‘key advisor’ and was pictured with him in February in Dubai which, according to the US government, is the hub for his company’s criminal activities.

Fury, along with multiple figures in boxing, including flyweight world champion Sunny Edwards, has previously gone to lengths to sing the praises of a figure who has also been named in the Irish High Court as the controller and manager of the gang.

There is no suggestion of criminality by any of the fighters advised by Kinahan. 

Advertisement

But the Gypsy King, the reigning world heavyweight champion, has refused to comment on the situation in detail.

When asked about the recent developments, Fury told Ring Magazine: ‘It’s none of my business, and I don’t get involved in other people’s business.’ 

The involvement of the US authorities has brought immense scrutiny to boxing, which has long stood accused of turning a blind eye to serious accusations around Kinahan.

Advertisement
Kinahan was paid £1m each for fights including Fury's two bouts with Deontay Wilder (left)

Kinahan was paid £1m each for fights including Fury’s two bouts with Deontay Wilder (left)

Last year he countered: ‘I’m not part of a criminal gang or any conspiracy. I have tried my best to ignore the allegations that are constantly made about me.’ 

Just last month, the president of the World Boxing Council organisation, Mauricio Sulaiman declared his ‘full support’ for Kinahan, who was one of the co-founders of the vast MTK management group, though he claims he severed ties in 2017. 

Advertisement

He has since operated as an ‘advisor’ to many of the biggest names in the sport, including Fury and Billy Joe Saunders.

Fury, who has also faced renewed questions about his relationship to Kinahan ahead of the fight with Whyte, paid a gushing tribute to the Irishman last year for his role in attempting to broker a showdown with Anthony Joshua.

Legendary boxing promoter Bob Arum also recently revealed that he paid Kinahan millions for each of Fury’s last four bouts.

Advertisement
Fury faces Dillian Whyte in a world heavyweight title fight at Wembley Stadium on Saturday

Fury faces Dillian Whyte in a world heavyweight title fight at Wembley Stadium on Saturday

Arum, boss of legendary Top Rank, admitted he had paid more than £1m each for the quartet of fights including Fury’s last two with Deontay Wilder.

He went on to reveal that Kinahan remains ‘100 per cent’ the brains behind Fury’s management company MTK Global, despite the firm themselves insisting they had severed ties with the so-called mob leader five years ago.

Advertisement

And, chillingly, Arum went on to reveal that during some of those negotiations for Fury’s recent fights, Kinahan had claimed he had ‘done some bad things’.

Arum said Top Rank had paid Kinahan up to £1.5m in consultancy fees for each of Fury’s last two bouts against Wilder as well as fights against Otto Wallin and Tom Schwarz, but said the relationship had broken down during talks for Fury’s fight this Saturday against Dillian Whyte at Wembley.

‘He was becoming greedier and greedier,’ said Arum. ‘And he became more of a burden than a help. For Fury versus Whyte, Frank [Warren] and I drew the line. We would not talk to him and we would not deal with him.

Advertisement
Bob Arum says Kinahan is still the brains behind Fury's management company MTK Global

Bob Arum says Kinahan is still the brains behind Fury’s management company MTK Global

‘We would not be involved and he would not get money from us or anybody else.’ Asked if Fury was upset about this, he replied: ‘Tyson was certainly not upset.’

Arum, now 90, admitted he had been wary of Kinahan’s past when they first tried to strike up a business relationship.

Advertisement

He said: ‘Kinahan called me and we had a long conversation. He said, “Bob, I’ve done some bad things in my life. I admit that. But I’m not involved with that any more. I’m just trying to clean up my life and be a legitimate businessman”.’

Arum mocked the notion that Kinahan was no longer involved with MTK, the company he founded in 2012 alongside former boxer Matthew Macklin. 

Asked whether he was still active in the running of the organisation, Arum said: ‘A hundred per cent. He founded it, it’s his company.’

Advertisement

MTK Global released a statement last week distancing themselves from Kinahan. It read: ‘MTK parted ways with Mr Kinahan in February 2017. He has had no interest in the business since then and will have no future involvement with us.’

Advertisement

About The Author