Our website is made possible by displaying online advertisements to our visitors. Please consider supporting us by whitelisting our website.

Who Cannot sponsor in Canada? See the list of persons that can’t sponsor their child or wife

Who Cannot Sponsor in Canada?

Who cannot sponsor in Canada? If a person is in jail or is convicted for a crime among a long list of other reasons or situations cannot sponsor their child or spouse to Canada.

Who Cannot Sponsor in Canada? See full list

It is a common practice for someone to sponsor either his child or spouse to Canada as long as they do it within the legal procedure. However, not everyone can sponsor.

Who Cannot sponsor in Canada? See the list of persons that can't sponsor their child or wife 1

So who cannot ssponsor in Canada?

You may not be eligible to sponsor your spouse, partner or child if you:

  • you previously applied to sponsor the spouse, parent, or child you are currently seeking to sponsor; however, a decision has not yet been reached.
  • you are currently incarcerated or housed in a penitentiary.
  • a loan for immigration
  • court-ordered family support payments, such as alimony or child support, require a performance bond (not applicable if you live in Quebec)
  • You are required to leave Canada if you were issued a Removal Order after being found guilty of a sexual offense, an offense against a relative, or an attempt, threat, or commission of a violent crime inside or outside of Canada.
  • have a need for social assistance other than a disability


You cannot sponsor your wife, partner or child if:

  • you are under the age of 18
  • you will not reside in Canada when the individuals you wish to sponsor do so
  • you are not a Canadian citizen
  • you are not a permanent resident of Canada
  • you are not an Indian registered in Canada under the Canadian Indian Act
  • you are a temporary resident, meaning you are here on a visa or permit to visit, study, or work and your application for permanent residence is still pending.
  • You must be eligible for permanent residency when you submit your application for sponsorship.
  • You lack the funds necessary to help the people you want to sponsor (if applicable)

You may not be able to soonnce your spouse, partner if you:

  • If you become a permanent resident less than five years ago and were sponsored by a spouse or partner
  • you are still liable for the debts of the spouse or partner you formerly sponsored. This indicates that the three-year commitment you made to care for this person is still in effect.

Who is eligible to sponsor their spouse, partner or child?

Sponsorship of a spouse, partner, or dependent child is permitted if

  • You are older than 18 years old.
  • You are an Indian registered in Canada under the Canadian Indian Act, a Canadian citizen, or a permanent resident of Canada.
  • If you are a Canadian citizen who currently resides outside of Canada, you must demonstrate that you intend to return to Canada once the individuals you wish to sponsor are granted permanent residency.
  • If you are a permanent resident living outside of Canada, you cannot sponsor someone.
  • If you can demonstrate that you are not receiving social assistance due to a disability, you are able to sponsor anyone as long as you can provide their basic needs.

About The Author