Who is Caitriona Balfe and how old is she?
From being the first Irish model to walk on the Victoria Secret Fashion Show in 2002 to become one of the most sought-after actresses in Hollywood, Caitriona Balfe has indeed, built a fantastic career for herself in both industries over the years.
Caitriona Balfe is best recognized for her role in the popular television series, Outlander where she featured as Claire Fraser for which she won a couple of awards as well as four Golden Globe nominations and three Saturn Awards nominations.
As expected, fans would want to know more about Caitriona Balfe beyond the runways and television screens. Her background, age, height, education, career progress, relationship, net worth among others are some of the things fans would want to know about.
This piece attempts to unravel both the major and minor details about the actress who is gradually becoming a household name in Hollywood.
Background and Education
Caitriona Balfe was born on the 4th of October, 1979 in Monaghan, Ulster. She grew up with six siblings: four sisters and two brothers. Her father served as a sergeant in the police while her mother worked as a marriage agent.
In an interview with Parade, she recalled how her mother used to make homemade brown bread and scones alongside a cup of tea or coffee on Sunday mornings before going to church.
She started showing interest in acting at a very tender age such that she enrolled in a youth drama school at the age of seven and her first role was Mr. Bumble, a fat, arrogant, and gluttonous man in Charles Dickson’s Oliver Twist novel.
While at school, Caitriona Balfe was encouraged to go into modeling because of her gorgeous look but she initially declined becAuse she didn’t want to look like a doll instead, she wanted to build a career in acting. She went hard to enroll at the Dublin School of Technology at the age of 17 where she studied Drama.
Height and Body Measurement
Caitriona Balfe is 5ft and 10 inches tall and her body measurement is 34-25-35 Inches. She is slim, her hair color is brown while her eye color is blue.
What is Caitriona Balfe age
The model turned actress is currently 41 years old. She will celebrate her 42nd birthday this year on the 4th of October.
Caitriona Balfe worked as a food packer in Dublin for a while before she ventures into the modeling business. She worked for some local modeling agency in Dublin for a while before she was approached by a Ford Models scout who offered her the chance to work in Paris.
That was the turning point in her modeling career. She has since gone ahead to model for and appear in advertising campaigns of Chanel, Dolce & Gabbana, Roberto Cavalli, Alexander McQueen, Balenciaga, Givenchy, Marc Jacobs, Bottega Veneta, Oscar de la Renta among others in a career that lasted for about 10 years before she switched gears to acting. She is regarded as of the top 20 models in the world during the peak of her career.
She was stated that;
“Fashion is a sphere in which you are growing old rapidly.”
Caitriona Balfe indeed had a successful modeling career, she walked in over 250 runway shows.
She started her acting career quite late unlike her contemporaries in the industry. She started acting at the age of 29. She played a minor role in the 2006 movie The Devil Wears Prada where she features as the employee of a runway magazine.
Before appearing in her next movie, Balfe moved from New York to Los Angeles in 2009. where she spent over a year where she perfected her acting skills at Warner Loughlin Studios, Sanford Meisner Center, and the Judith Weston Studios.
In 2012, she played the role of Alex #34 in The Beauty Inside, a social movie centered on the life of a man who wakes up in different bodies every day.
She has also appeared in the following movies:
- Super 8 (2011) – Her first-ever movie role where she played Elizabeth Lamb.
- Lust Life (2011) – Aubrie
- The Wolf (2012) – Sally
- Veronique Crush (2013) – Andie Now You See Me (2013) – Jasmine Tressler
- Escape Plan (2013) – Jessica Miller
- H+ (2012 -2013) – She played Breanna Sheehan for seven episodes of this show.
- The Price of Desire (2015) – Gabrielle Bloch
- Money Monster (2016) – Diane Lester
- The Dark Crystal: Age of Resistance (2019) – She voiced the character Tavra
- Ford v Ferrari (2019) – Mollie Miles
- She won the Woman of the Year Award at the BBC Anglophenia Fans Favorite Awards (2015)
- She won the Best Actress in a Television Series at the Anglophile Channel Awards in 2015.
- Best Actress on Television at the 2015 Saturn Awards
- Best Actress in a Drama Series at the 2015 EWwy Awards
- Favorite Cable Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Actress at the 2015 People’s Choice Awards
- Best Television Ensemble at the 2015 Satellite Awards
- Best Actress on Television at the 2015 Saturn Awards
- Best Actress in a Television Series at the 2016 Anglophile Channel Awards
- Best Actress in a Drama Series at 2016 the EWwy Awards
- Best Actress on Television at the BAFTA Scotland Awards
- Favorite Sci-Fi/Fantasy TV Actress at the 2016 People’s Choice Awards
- Best Actress in a Lead Role TV Drama at the 2018 Irish Film & Television Awards for her role in The Outlander
- Actress in a Leading Role – Drama [TV – National] at the 2021 46th Annual Gracie Awards.
Caitriona Balfe has dated a couple of men before she finally got married to her longtime boyfriend, Scottish band manager Anthony McGill, in August 2019. She dated Dave Milone, guitarist of the American rock band Radio 4, and Jamie Moss, the creator of the films Street Kings, X-Men: First Class.
It was also rumored that she dated her Outlander set partner, Sam Heughan and the duo added spice to the rumor as they referred to each other as “husband” and “wife”,” Mr” and “Mrs” on social media.
Caitriona Balfe net worth is estimated at $4m
Facts and Trivial
- Her first name is pronounced Katrina.
- Horse riding is one of her favorite skills she has ever learned.
- She speaks English, Irish Gaelic, and French
- She became the first Irish woman to take a walk at the Victoria’s Secret Fashion Show in 2002
- She is one of the protectors of the World Child Cancer organization.
- Her grandmother worked as a nurse during the second war
- She once raised $55,000 for the environmental charity One Tree Planted through her birthday fund-raising. The money was used in planting 55,000 trees across the world.
- The hardest part when I decided to move into acting was trusting I’d made the right decision.
- When we think about the past, we think, ‘It must have been so boring.’ It’s actually not.
- It’s great to play someone who’s so unafraid of being who she is.
- Game of Thrones’ hasThronese storylines,storylinesountries, and it’s complete fantasy.
- I would have become a silent movie star in the 1920s.
Read about veteran fashion Journalist, Richard Buckley here