As the Super Eagles of Nigeria prepare for the mouth-watering showdown against the Selecao of Brazil, Coach Gernot Rohr has handed invitation to a another debutant; Viv Efosa Solomom-Otabor as a replacement for the injured Samuel Kalu. Relatively unknown; Otabor plays as a winger for CSKA Sofia in the Bulgarian League and has featured nine times for the Bulgarian outfit this season. He can also play as a supporting striker.
Ahead of the match on Sunday, the 23 year old winger will be looking to justify his maiden call-up to the national team if he eventually gets to play. This is because his invitation to the team has attracted criticisms by some section of the media. However, there is only question on the lips of the average Super Eagles follower; who is Viv Efosa Solomon-Otabor?
- Otabor was born in London twenty-three years ago to Nigerian parents from Edo State. His father; Victor Banks Otabor was a former footballer and he played for various clubs in Nigeria, including Bendel Insurance.
- Otabor played for different youth teams during his developmental stage before he signed his first Professional contract with Birmingham City in 2014, remaining with the club until this summer. He went on loan spells at clubs like Oxford City and Bolton Wanderers. He eventually joined CSKA Sofia this summer signing a three year deal.
- He is a nephew to former Nigeria International, Thompson Oliha and he revealed the influence his uncle had on him. He claimed that Oliha advised him to keep it going and if he keeps improving, he will get the chance to play for the Super Eagles of Nigeria. He trained with the Olympic squad in 2015 under Samson Siasia but he didn’t make the squad eventually.
READ ALSO: This Super Eagles player opts out of Brazil clash, find out why?
4. Otabor supports Manchester United in the English Premier League and he nurses a dream of playing in the league at some point in his career. On the flipside, he said he would have gone into athletics if he didn’t become a footballer. In his words; “If I am not a footballer, maybe I would be an athlete.”
5. When asked to choose between Ronaldo and Messi, the winger was defiant to pick one as he believes that both players are supernatural in nature and they both have different characteristics.