In what could have been probably a 13 nil victory for Manchester United, Copenhagen’s goalkeeper Karl-Johan Johnsson, stood his ground in between the sticks for more than ninety minutes as Ole Gunnar Solksjaer’s men struggled to beat the Danish goalie.
It took a 95th penalty by Bruno Fernandes to beat the Danish goalkeeper who put up a remarkable performance with 13 saves on the night as the Red Devils book their semi-finals spot.
Inter Milan did enough to also pick up their semi-finals ticket as with a 2-1 victory over Bayern Leverkusen courtesy of goals from Nicolo Barella and Romelu Lukaku while Kai Havertz who perhaps has played his last game for the club got a consolation for the German side.
Here are five keypoints as the two heavyweights book their await their respective opponents in the semi-finals;
- Inter Milan will be playing in their first semi-finals since the 2009-2010 season when they won the Champions League under Jose Mourinho.
- The Nerazurris also have the highest number of semi-finals appearances in the competition’s history – 8
- Manchester United will breaking their second appearance in the semi-finals of in the Europa in there years. The last time was in 2017 when they won it under Jose Mourinho.
- Romelu Lukaku has now scored 9 consecutive goals in the competition this season, the longest run by any player in the history of the tournament
- Manchester United’s penalty is their 22st this season – the most by any club in the top 5 European Leagues.