Thirteen times Champions, Real Madrid crashed out of the Champions League after losing 2-1 to Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City at the Etihad to make it 4-2 aggregate score.
Goals from Gabriel Jesus and Raheem Sterling ensured that the Citizens will play in the Quarter-finals where they will square up against French side, Lyon.
Although, Javi Garcia’s Lyon 2-1 to Juvemtus at the Allianz but Cristiano Ronaldo’s brace wasn’t enough to send the French side out of the competition as they progressed on away goals having scored an early penalty courtesy of Memphis De Pay.
Here five things to note as both European heavyweights bid farewell to this season’s Champions League;
- Real Madrid lost both leg of a Champions League knockout tie for the first time since the 2008/2009 season when they lost to Liverpool in the last sixteen.
- After Manchester United’s Ruud Van Nisterooy in the 2002/2003 season, Manchester City’s Gabriel Jesus is the second player from an English them to score in both legs of a Champions League knock out tie.
- Memphis Depay is the first player to win and concede a penalty in a Champions League match since the 2003/2004 season.
- Despite crashing out of the competition, Juventus’ Cristiano Ronaldo is the highest goal scorer in the competition’s history with 128 goals. He has 67 knockout stage goals which is 21 more than any other player.
- Lyon are the first French team to eliminate Juventus in the knockout stage of the European Cup, UEFA Cup, and European Cup Winners’ Cup.