The Manchester Derby; Man Utd vs Man City, is one of the biggest derbies in the world and it dates back to the 12th of November, 1881 when St. Marks West Gordon (Manchester City) played host to Newton Heath which ended 0-3 in favor of Manchester United.
Manchester United will play host to their arch-rivals in the 181st meeting this Sunday in what should be an explosive encounter given that both teams, in recent times have met three times already this season with Manchester United with the Red Devils coming out tops with two victories and a loss.
Here some key facts you need to know ahead of the Manchester Derby tomorrow at Old Trafford;
- Most wins: Manchester United (75)
- Most Appearances: Ryan Giggs (36)
- Top scorer: Wayne Rooney (11)
- Largest Victory/Defeat: United 1-6 City (2011, 1926)
- Most Goals: Manchester United (261), Manchester City(249)
- Most Trophies: Manchester United (66), Manchester City (26)
- How Players have played for both teams: 40 (Owen Hargreaves, Carlos Tevez, Andy Cole, Terry Cooke…)
- Raheem Sterling is yet to score in the Manchester Derby
- Sergio Aguero is the current highest goalscorer in the Manchester Derby with 9 goals.
Pride, Prestige, and points are at stake when Ole Gunnar Solsjaer’s Manchester United welcome Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City at Old Trafford on Sunday evening. While United have their eyes on the top four, City are desperate to reduce the gap between them and Liverpool as well as hold on the second position or should anything disastrous happen to Liverpool at the top, Man City will be there to take advantage of it.