Mathew Yakubu: 5 quick facts you need to know about new Super Eagles goalkeeper
The Super Eagles are a team in transition and as Manager Gernot Rohr continues his building process, a young Mathew Yakubu has been called up and could be in line to make his debut.
Here are five quick facts you need to know about the young goalkeeper…
Goalkeeper for the Slovakian first division side ŠKF Sereď, Yakubu was born in Zaria, Kaduna State on March, 9th 1999 which makes him 21-years-old.
1. He started his career with Clique Sports and later was selected to the Nigerian U-20 national team. He represented the Flying Eagles at the Africa U-20 Nations Cup in 2019 in Niger Republic but was not part of the team to the 2019 FIFA U-20 World Cup in Poland.
2. Yakubu made his professional Fortuna Liga debut for ŠKF Sereď on July 11 2020, and has since become a regular.
3. After making just one appearance for ŠKF Sereď last season, he is now their first-choice goalkeeper for the 2020/21 season. He has been impressive for his team in the Slovakian Fortuna Liga. He has made eight appearances this season, receiving one yellow card and conceding a total of nine goals while keeping three clean sheets.
4. Yakubu stands at 1.83m tall which makes him an imposing figure in the post. He is a good shot-stopper but has been criticized for not being able to distribute properly and also his reflexes.
5. In the Super Eagles, he has a tough job on his hands as he will compete with Dele Alampasu, Maduka Okoye, Tobias Lawal, Ikechukwu Ezenwa, Daniel Akpeyi, and Francis Uzoho for the starting berth.