Super Eagles manager, Gernot Rohr spoke with Nigerian Journalists virtually ahead of the match against Algeria tomorrow.
Gernot Rohr said he’s happy that he has a very fit squad and rich pool of players to select from ahead of the match.
He also added that he will only select the very best players to play in the national team. He said one of the newly invited goalkeepers, Matthew Yakubu will feature in one of the games.
Rohr also expressed his happiness for players of Nigerian descent who are already showing interest to play for the team.
Check out ten quotes from his press conference;
- “When we want to make our list, we look at quality not where they were born. I am also happy to hear Nigerians born abroad make the decision to play for us.”
- “I want to see our new players, I want to see good football. The two games will be interesting and its a good test for us.”
- On @victorosimhen9; “He is our leader in the attack, he has been doing well, we will miss him but of course we have to organize because this can happen in the tournament. We have a lot of strikers in the squad. We have to handle the situation.”
- Rohr on a revenge mission against Algeria; “It’s a test game, we want to see our new players. The objective is to prepare for AFCON and the World Cup.”
- “Algeria are unbeaten in 18 games, we want to stop them, we hope so. They are a strong team in Africa, the champions, it will be a big test for us.”
- “We would have loved to play a West African team because we have then in our group (NCQ) but that is not possible now. Ivory Coast says they cannot play now and so we have to play these two games. We have to manage it now””
- “I love a selection problem. I will be happy to have one which means all the players are fit. That will be good for me because it gives me many options”
- “Three days isn’t enough to prepare against the champions, but we are ready. Yes, we have found our style and rhythm.”
- Rohr on Paul Onuachu; “We can’t change our style because of him, he has to adapt to our style. We don’t want to play long balls, we have our style.”
- “It hurts the players when they hear this (referring to the foreign born debate), they are happy to be here. It bothers them that in Europe, they are looked at as black while people back home look at them as white. This isn’t good. They are Nigerians and proud of it”
Quotes via @OgaNlaMedia @Emiearth @AndrewRanda