Now that that the men have been separated from the boys, the round of sixteen of the biggest club competition, the UEFA Champions League starts tonight with a mouth-watering clash as Barcelona welcomes last season’s finalist, PSG.
The two sides know each other quite well having a met a couple of times in the past with the 2017 encounter being the most memorable as Barcelona overturned a 4 goal deficit to qualify for the quarter-finals.
However, a lot has changed in the fortunes of both clubs since that time both on and off the pitch as both clubs continue to make attempts to win the prestigious trophy.
As Barcelona welcome PSG to the Camp Nou tonight, we take a look at five significant things that have happened since that historic night in front of over 90,000 fans.
- Neymar joined PSG in the summer of 20l17 for a world record fee of €222m – A deal that still hurt Barcelona fans to date.
- PSG has changed two managers since then. Unai Emery and Thomas Tuchel who led them to their first final.
- PSG got to their first-ever UEFA Champions League semi-final and Final where they lost 1-0 to Bayern Munich last season.
- Barcelona suffered a humiliating 8-2 defeat to Bayern Munich in a one-legged Quarter-Final.
- Barcelona suffered one of their worst seasons ever as ended the 2019/2020 season trophyless coupled with the financial crisis.
- Messi’s contract saga with Barcelona after he made his intention known to leave the club.
As Barcelona and PSG face-off tonight, both teams look to be at par considering that Barcelona have been inconsistent this season and PSG will be without Neymar as usual at this stage of the competition.
Kick-off is 9 p.m in this “no favorite” match, just relax and enjoy it.