In this article we’ll look at how to apply for a Canada work visa. To work and live in Canada.
First Off What’s A Canada Work Visa Permit?
A work permit is a legal document that allows a foreign individual to work in Canada while in the country. Canada provides over half a million work licenses to temporary foreign workers around the world each year.
Many foreign nationals seeking employment possibilities flock to Canada. Working in Canada is also a great first step for individuals looking to settle permanently in the nation.
Types of Canadian work permits
There are many different options for obtaining a Canadian work permit. Some work permits require a job offer from a Canadian employer, some require that the employer provide a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA), while others require that a person has some sort of connection to Canada (previous education, spousal sponsorship, etc.)
These are the types of work permits available:
Requiring a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA)
- Temporary Foreign Worker Program (TFWP)
- Facilitated LMIA (Quebec)
- Global Talent Stream
LMIA-Exempt but requiring a job offer or employment contract
- International Mobility Program (IMP)
- NAFTA Work Permits
- CETA Work Permits
- Intra-Company Transfers
What documents are required to apply for a Canada work visa?
The documents required for a Canadian work permit will depend on the type of work permit you are applying for. Applicants may need to provide the following documents as part of their work permit application:
- Completed application forms
- Proof of status in Canada (if applicable)
- Family member’s proof of status (if applicable)
- Labour Market Impact Assessment (if applicable)
- Written offer of employment (if applicable)
- CV/ résumé
- Marriage certificate (if applicable)
- Certificat d’acceptation du Québec (CAQ) (if applicable)
- Proof that you meet the job requirements
- Valid copy of your passport
- Copy of education credential
- Medical exam results (if requested)
- Evidence of financial means to stay in Canada and return to home country
- Proof of payment for applicable government fees
- Recent passport-sized photos
How much does a Canadian work permit cost?
The processing fee for a closed work permit is $155 CAD per person or $255 per person for an open work permit. If you are restoring a work permit or applying as a group of performing artists, additional fees will apply.
How to obtain a Canadian work visa permit.
The procedure for acquiring a Canadian work permit differs significantly based on the type of work permit sought. For example, as part of their study visa authorisation, a foreign student studying in Canada is sometimes granted permission to work part-time.
The majority of closed work permit applications require a foreign national to have an official job offer from a Canadian business that is backed up by a Labour Market Impact Assessment (LMIA). Even individuals who are exempt from the LMIA or do not require a work visa should be aware of the special papers they must produce in order to be admitted to Canada.