It’s no longer news that Lionel Messi has completed a move to former French champions, Paris Saint-Germain from Barcelona on a free transfer.
The Argentine captain was unveiled at the Parc Des Princes stadium where he met with the club President, Nasser Al-Khaleifi, his new manager, Mauricio Pochettino as well as his new teammates.
A new 💎 in Paris!Advertisement
PSGxMESSI ❤️💙 pic.twitter.com/scrp1su9a6
— Paris Saint-Germain (@PSG_English) August 10, 2021
Lionel Messi had a lot to say during his first press conference as a PSG player, here are some excerpts from his interaction with the media:
- “The welcome I received was wonderful. I feel incredibly happy. I can’t wait to get started with my teammates.”
- “Hopefully it will be an extraordinary year for the fans and the team”
- “I will have to do preseason alone, and I hope to be able to play as soon as possible.”
- “I come to help with a lot of motivation and with more desire than ever.”
- “From the outside, you can see a strong group, a united group.”
- “@neymarjr and I know each other very well. I hope we will be stronger together and with all our teammates.”
- “The coaching staff and the squad had a lot to do with me choosing this club.”
- “I know the coach Mauricio Pochettino very well. The fact that he is Argentinian helped from the start, it was important in my decision making.”
- “At a family level it will be a beautiful experience, we are in a spectacular city and we are going to enjoy it. We are relaxed and happy.”
- “I have the same excitement, and the same desire that I had as a child”
- Lionel Messi: “My goal and my dream is to win the Champions League once more. I think Paris is the best place to do so.”
Messi is set to earn $41m per year at the club after agreeing to a two-year deal with an option to extend for a further year.