Six facts you need to know from Arsenal’s Community Shield win over Liverpool
By Toju Sote
Arsenal overcame Premier League champions Liverpool to win the community shield on Saturday at Wembley stadium 5-4 on penalty shootout after regulation time ended 1-1.
The victory threw up some interesting facts you need to know.
1. It was Arsenal’s 16th Community Shield win, taking them to second behind Man Utd who have 21 Community Shields.
2. Arsenal won a fourth Shield in the last seven years after getting the trophy in 2014, 2015 and 2017.
3. The Gunners have won 8 of their last ten Community Shield appearances. This was the fourth Community Shield meeting between the two teams and they now have two apiece.
4. Aubameyang won his sixth career trophy at club level. He had won two German Cups, one Dfb Pokal, the French League Cup at St Ettiene and last season’s FA Cup before the Community Shield with Arsenal.
5. It is Mikel Arteta’s second trophy as a coach since taking over from Unai Emery as manager of the London club.
6. Bukayo Saka’ assist for Aubameyang’s goal was his 13 since the start of last season. Only Debruyne (22) and Trent Alexander Arnold (15) have more than him.