These days, music fans don’t just want to listen to a track or album, they also want to connect to the artist on social media, know some personal details about him, have a special encounter with him especially if his music talks about their experiences. Kevin Gates is one of those artists fans love because his music mirrors some of his experiences which fans find easy to relate to
In this article, we shall be exploring who Kevin Gates is, his background, education, his challenges, how he started his career, net worth, some of his classic tunes, his real name as well as some of his physical characteristics such his height among others.
- Kevin Gates is an American Rapper, Songwriter and Singer. He was Kelvin Jerome Gilyard on the 5th of February, 1986 in Louisiana, New Orleans.
- He grew up in the city of Baton Rouge and was raised by his mother, Martha Green Gates as well as his grandmother. Kevin Gates had a pretty rough childhood. He was arrested at age13 for joyriding in a stolen car but he was released afterwards.
- He attended Baton Community College but it was just for a short period as he dropped out to pursue his career in rap music. However, he did a Master’s degree in psychology through a prison programme in 2011.
- Kevin Gates began his music career in 2007 after he signed into a record label named “Dead Game Records.” Shortly after signing with the record label, he released his first mixtape; “Pick of da Litta” and “All or Nothing” with Bossie Baddaz and Webbie. In the second mixtape, he described some of his life challenges which he termed as very unfortunate.
- Kevin Gates was arrested alongside his Boosie Baddaz, but for different trials. He was arrested behind bars between 2008 and 2011. He was released based on good behaviour.
- He immediately got back to work shortly after his release from prison on as he dropped another mixtape titled Make Ém Believe which received a handful of acceptance by fans as well as commendations from music producers.
- In 2013, he attention of Wayne’s record label Young Money Entertainment. No sooner than the following year, he signed an agreement with the management wing of the label but never signed any record deal with the label.
- That same year, Kevin Gates released the mixtape, The Luca Brasi Story which received huge critical acclaim. After the success from the mixtape, he signed a contract with Atlantic Records and released the mixtape the same year, Stranger Than Fiction which made it to #17 on Billboard 200.
- Kevin Gates released his first studio album, Islah in 2016 which means to make better in Arabic. The album made an outstanding sales whereas also hit #2 on Billboard 200 chart. As of 2018, he released the three-song EP, Chained to the City.
- In 2019, Kevin Gates released his second EP, titled Only the Generals Gon Understand.
- In June 28, 2019, Gates released “Push It”, along with the music video. The song served as the lead single from his second album I’m Him.
- Aside from making money from music, Kevin Gates also make money from his Youtube channel, KevinGatesTv. 3.9 million subscribers. He earns $13.5k to $215.8k monthly and $161.8k to $2.6 million annually from his channel. In 2014, He launched his energy drink, I don’t get Tired #IDGT in 2014. He is worth about $1m.
- Kevin Gates’ height of 6 ft 3 in or 190.5 cm. Likely he weighs 94 kg or 207 lbs. He has dark brown coloured eyes and black coloured hair and his body is full of tattoos.
- Kevin Gates married his longtime girlfriend, Dreka Haynes, in October 2015. The couple has two children, Islah and Khaza. Gates hinted that he had children by other women in a 2013 interview with Complex:
“I got some children. I’m close to them. I lay in the bed with them, hold them, love on them. It doesn’t make sense to say [how many kids I have].
“Not in a bad way, but it’s not like the public will ever get to see my children, and if they do see them, they aren’t going to know they’re mine.”
15. The rap star is a practising Muslim along with his wife, and they went for Mecca for Hajj in September 2016.