Twenty-eight days after Arsenal lifted their record 14th FA Cup title, the Gunners are back to Wembley Stadium as they take on Premier League champions, Liverpool as they compete for the first silverware of the season – The FA Community Shield.
Both teams finished the 2019/2020 season on a very high note as Liverpool their maiden Premier League title after 30 years, while Mikel Arteta’s side added another FA Cup title to their trophy cabinet.
Both teams have prepared quite well ahead of this season opener with Liverpool rounding off their two games schedule with a 3-0 victory over Stuttgart and a 2-2 draw against RB Leipzig.
Arsenal on the hand just played a game as they bashed MK Dons 4-1 on Tuesday.
Here are five things you need to know ahead of the match;
- These will be the 229th meeting between the two sides in all competitions with Liverpool recording the most wins 89 while Arsenal has won 79 times a gun at the Reds.
- Both clubs have won the FA Community Shield 15 times respectively with Arsenal winning their latest one in 2017.
- This will be the fourth time both teams will be meeting in the FA Community Shield with Liverpool winning two in 1979 (3-1) and 1989 (1-0) while Arsenal won the last time they met with a 1-0 victory in 2002.
- Arsenal are undefeated in their last seven Community Shield appearances while Liverpool have last their last two with defeats to Manchester City and Arsenal respectively
- Liverpool will look to win their first FA Community title since 2006 where they deferred Chelsea 2-1
It promises to be an interesting matchup as both sides will look to claim the first silverware of the season.
One thing you can be assured of in this match is that they will be plenty of goals. 52 goals have been scored in the last 10 meetings between them in all competitions.