Arsenal began their impressive run of form of late as they thrashed newly-promoted Fulham side 3-0 at the Craven Cottage to kick-start their 2020/2021 Premier League season on a brilliant note.
Mikel Arteta’s side came into the match on the back of winning the Community Shield two weeks ago and the Gunners already sent more of warning to other Premier League teams with an impressive display over Scott Parker’s side.
A debut goal from Gabriel Malgalhaes, Alexander Lacazette and Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang gave the Gunners three goals and three points with new signing Willian with two assists on his debut.
Fulham, as expected were second best on the afternoon as they struggled to breach Arsenal’s resolute defense line.
Here are five things to note from Arsenal’s victory;
- Alexandre Lacazette’s goal means he is the first player to score the opening goal of a Premier League season on more than one occasion (also 2017-18 v Leicester)
- Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang is the first player to score on MD1 in two consecutive Premier League seasons for Arsenal since Robert Pires in 2003-04 & 2004-05.
- Willian is the first player two assists on his Premier League debut for Arsenal since Ray Parlour in August 1992 against Liverpool.
- Fulham have now lost their last 11 competitive London derbies – including 10 defeats in the 2018/19 season – the longest ever run by a club in top-flight history.
- Gabriel is the 10th Arsenal player to score on his debut but he is first to do so in an away match since Thomas Vermaelen in August 2009 against Everton.