Premier League football is back as though it never left. Arguably the most followed league in the world is back to our screens and Champions, Liverpool have 19 teams to contend with if there are to retain their title.
This season, it has been said, will be a keenly contested one due to the activities of clubs, especially the mid-table clubs in the transfer market as well the top six.
Chelsea are the biggest spenders so far having spent over £200m pounds on new recruits.
However, the attention is on Jürgen Kloop’s men as they begin their title defense against Marcelo Bielsa’s side, Leeds United at Anfield.
Liverpool begin their Premier League campaign with just one summer signing; Konstanikos Tsimiskas for £13m from Olympiakos.
The Reds inactivity in the summer transfer window has been more or less a worry for some of their fans, however, others are optimistic that the squad is good enough to defend the title.
Winning against Leeds United, the Championship Champions, will go a long way in erasing doubts in the mind of the fans.
Here are some details to note ahead of the match, number four is why Liverpool fans should be weary;
- Liverpool are unbeaten in their last eight games against Leeds United with six victories and two losses. The last time Liverpool lost to Leeds was in 2010 – a 1-2 defeat.
- The Whites have lost their last three away matches against the Reds
- This is the seventh time a newly-promoted side will be playing a Premier League Champions on opening day with the Premier League Champions winning six of the last seven.
- Leeds are yet to lose their opening game fixture in the Premier League history. They played 12 matches, won 5 and drawn 7. Liverpool on the other hand have six of their seven opening day matches.
- The Championship Champions are yet to win their opening day Premier League fixture since Sunderland defeated Tottenham in the 2007/2008 season.