Mother’s horror as her 18-month-old toddler falls 20 feet down sewage drain

Advertisement

A terrified mother has revealed she will ‘never mentally recover’ after she watched her 18-month-old toddler fall 20 feet down a sewage drain in horror. 

Advertisement

Amy Blyth, 23, was strolling with her son, Theo Prior, when he disappeared through a drain cover as it flipped over and then closed on top of him on Sunday afternoon.

The footage, captured on CCTV from a neighbouring house, showed the moment the quick-thinking personal trainer jumped into the drain to rescue the tot and quickly plucked him from a river of human waste in Tenterden, Kent.

Advertisement

The mother-of-one stood on ledges at the side of the sewer to reach down to her toddler son who had fallen to the very bottom.

Luckily, she was able to grab hold of him and lift him out – but his clothes were left covered in human waste.

Describing the ‘horror film’ moment, Ms Blyth said: ‘My first thought was “Oh my God, he’s dead.”’

Amy Blyth, 23, (left) jumped into the drain to rescue the tot and quickly plucked him from a river of human waste on Sunday afternoon in Tenterden, Kent

Amy Blyth, 23, (left) jumped into the drain to rescue the tot and quickly plucked him from a river of human waste on Sunday afternoon in Tenterden, Kent

Advertisement
Footage, captured on CCTV from a neighbouring house, showed the moment the personal trainer was walking along the pavement with her son, when he innocently investigated a drain cover that appeared to have come loose

Footage, captured on CCTV from a neighbouring house, showed the moment the personal trainer was walking along the pavement with her son, when he innocently investigated a drain cover that appeared to have come loose

On Sunday, the 18-month-old toddler plummeted down the hole as the lid closed on top of him

On Sunday, the 18-month-old toddler plummeted down the hole as the lid closed on top of him

Quick-thinking Ms Blyth lifted off the heavy cover and jumped into the sewage drain

Quick-thinking Ms Blyth lifted off the heavy cover and jumped into the sewage drain 

The personal trainer said she had to 'arch her body to grab him and pull him out' safely

The personal trainer said she had to ‘arch her body to grab him and pull him out’ safely 

Advertisement
The mother-of-one stood on ledges at the side of the sewer to reach down to her toddler son who had fallen to the very bottom

The mother-of-one stood on ledges at the side of the sewer to reach down to her toddler son who had fallen to the very bottom

Theo is now home and doing well, but Ms Blyth complained to Southern Water and said she 'needs answers' as she believes the drain cover has been faulty for some time

Theo is now home and doing well, but Ms Blyth complained to Southern Water and said she ‘needs answers’ as she believes the drain cover has been faulty for some time

Ms Blyth said she dreads to think what might have happened had a child fallen through the drain cover unseen

Ms Blyth said she dreads to think what might have happened had a child fallen through the drain cover unseen

She added: ‘I yanked the drain lid out, and I just saw him down there, screaming my name. There was sewage up to his knees.

Advertisement

‘I jumped down the drain, but it’s not big enough for me to bend over to grab him. I had to sort of arch my body to grab him and pull him up.

‘I don’t know how I did it. My body went in ways I’ve never bent before, just to get him out of that drain.

‘It was so deep you couldn’t see my head from the ground, and I wasn’t even on the floor.

‘Just as I pulled him up I think someone flushed a chain because we were soaked – with I think, possibly, wee. Our clothes are absolutely disgusting.’

Advertisement
The loose drain cover (pictured) that little Theo fell into could have been fatal

The loose drain cover (pictured) that little Theo fell into could have been fatal 

The terrified mum rushed the little boy - who is said to have swallowed some sewer water - to Ashford's William Harvey Hospital, where medics diagnosed him with mild concussion, but x-rays revealed he miraculously got away without a broken bone

The terrified mum rushed the little boy – who is said to have swallowed some sewer water – to Ashford’s William Harvey Hospital, where medics diagnosed him with mild concussion, but x-rays revealed he miraculously got away without a broken bone

The terrified mum rushed the little boy – who is said to have swallowed some sewer water – to Ashford’s William Harvey Hospital, where medics diagnosed him with mild concussion, but x-rays revealed he miraculously got away without a broken bone. 

Ms Blyth, said: ‘It could have ended up so much worse. If he’d gone down head first, I don’t even know if he would be here.

Advertisement

‘It makes me feel sick to think of it. It’s an absolute nightmare – I’m petrified of drains now. I still feel really shaken from it. I just can’t really get over it.

‘He literally went straight to the bottom, and I thought I was going to lose him. It was actually like a horror film.’

She added: ‘We were just walking out for him to go to his dad’s house. I saw the drain was a little bit loose, but I didn’t realise what level it was loose.

‘He ran to the drain, stood on it, and just fell the whole way through. And then the drain lid shut on top of him.’

Advertisement
The personal trainer said: 'Just as I pulled him up I think someone flushed a chain because we were soaked - with I think, possibly, wee. Our clothes are absolutely disgusting'

 The personal trainer said: ‘Just as I pulled him up I think someone flushed a chain because we were soaked – with I think, possibly, wee. Our clothes are absolutely disgusting’

Ms Blyth said she dreads to think what might have happened had a child fallen through the drain cover unseen.

She added: ‘If he’d been on his own, or if it had been another kid on their own, we wouldn’t have found him.

‘We wouldn’t have known where they’d gone. You couldn’t even hear him because it’s sound-proof.

Advertisement

‘He could have fallen down and I’d have gone running round the block trying to find him, not in a drain.’

Theo is now home and doing well, but Ms Blyth complained to Southern Water and said she ‘needs answers’ as she believes the drain cover has been faulty for some time.

Writing in a post on Facebook, she added: ‘I mentally will never ever recover from this, my baby now is screaming when leaving my side.

Describing the 'horror film' moment, Ms Blyth said: 'My first thought was "Oh my God, he's dead'''

Describing the ‘horror film’ moment, Ms Blyth said: ‘My first thought was “Oh my God, he’s dead”’

Advertisement

‘I will not give up until we get an answer as to why a drain was left so dangerously.

‘I will fight every day to get what Theo deserves, I will now focus on ensuring mine and Theo’s happiness is a priority.’

It is understood Southern Water is working to establish who is responsible for the drain and manhole.

Around four investigators were seen in the area yesterday looking into the cause of the accident.

Advertisement

A Southern Water spokesperson said: ‘We are aware of a situation involving a child and an open manhole.

‘This is clearly an upsetting situation for those involved and our team is on-site. A dedicated customer liaison officer has been assigned to support the family.

‘We are taking this matter very seriously and our first priority was to make the area safe. Next steps are to understand exactly what happened.’

Advertisement
Advertisement

Similar Posts