Giannis Antetokounmpo was named the NBA Defensive Player of the Year five days after he accrued the most votes.
The Milwaukee Bucks forward earned 97 votes from a global panel of 100 basketball journalists including writers and broadcasters and he earned a total of 197 points to lead the NBA All-Defensive team of the year.
He won the award ahead of Anthony Davis of the LA Lakers, Philadelphia 76ers Ben Simmons among others.
Giannis, born in Greece to Nigerian Parents, shared pictures of his award via his Twitter page.
See pictures 👇
Thankful! 🙏🏽 pic.twitter.com/Rsg1IiE5tAAdvertisement
— Giannis Ugo Antetokounmpo (@Giannis_An34) September 14, 2020
Other players in the NBA All-Defensive Team of the Year include;
- Los Angeles Lakers forward Anthony Davis (187 points; 87 First Team votes)
- Philadelphia 76ers guard Ben Simmons (185 points; 88 First Team votes)
- UtahJazz center Rudy Gobert (180 points; 85 First Team votes)
- BostonCeltics guard Marcus Smart (152 points; 57 First Team votes).
The second team includes;
- LA Clippers forward Kawhi Leonard (128 points)
- Milwaukee Bucks center Brook Lopez (67)
- Miami Heat forward Bam Adebayo (61)
- Clippers guard, Patrick Beverley (60)
- Milwuakee Bucks guard Eric Bledsoe (59).