Who murdered Derrick Thompson and Alicia Welch James Pak? Here is all you need to know! 

Who murdered Derrick Thompson and Alicia Welch James Pak? Here is all you need to know!  2

Is James Pak still alive and well? What happened to James Pak today?

James Park is still alive and is currently serving a prison sentence for murder.

In March 2013, James pleaded not guilty to the charges, but in August 2014, he changed his plea to not guilty due to insanity. After two psychological evaluations, he was found to be mentally competent to stand trial in November 2015. The judge did note, however, that James “has significant cognitive deficits and difficulties with English and memory.”

The case was never tried because J5ames pleaded guilty to all charges in February 2016, stating that he did not want his wife, relatives, or victims’ families to go through the ordeals of a trial. His defense attorney stated that his client considered self-defense as a viable option but did not pursue it. He was sentenced to two life sentences, one for each victim, plus another 30 years for attempting to murder Susan. According to court documents, all sentences will be served consecutively.

The victims’ families also sued Biddeford police for incompetence, but the case was dismissed in April 2020. James, 84, is currently incarcerated in a prison cell at the Mountain View Correctional Facility, according to official court records.

Who murdered Derrick Thompson and Alicia Welch James Pak? Here is all you need to know! 

James Pak barged into the apartment of Derrick’s family and shot at him, his mother Susan, and his girlfriend Alicia after both men argued about a parking space. Unfortunately, Derrick and his girlfriend died while Susan survived 

Derrick Thompson and Alicia Welch Biography

Derrick M. Thompson was born in Portland, Oregon on February 12, 1993, to Susan Johnson and Richard Thompson. In 2011, he graduated from Biddeford High School. He was an outgoing and fun-loving individual who enjoyed customizing his truck, drag racing with his grandfather, camping, and playing video games with his siblings, according to his family. He worked for Stoneage Granite Countertops in Biddeford, Maine, and Patriot Subaru in Saco as an auto detailer.

James Pak

Alivia Collette “Peanut” Welch, his girlfriend, was born on July 13, 1994, in Biddeford, Maine, to Danny W. and Jocelyne (Lamontagne) Welch. She graduated from Thorton Academy in 2012 after finishing her studies at St. James School. Her father described her as “the ideal daughter,” who enjoyed shopping and outdoor activities like snowboarding and boating. She was employed at Aroma Joe’s in Biddeford and aspired to be a nurse.

As a result, when Susan called 911 on December 29, 2012, to report that her son and his girlfriend had been shot, she was taken aback. When emergency personnel arrived on the scene, they discovered the teen couple dead and Susan injured. She was shot in the back and taken to Maine Medical Center in Portland, where she was treated and survived. According to police reports, the young couple was killed with a.357 Magnum handgun.

Derrick Thompson and Alicia Welch Death

Investigators did not have to look for the murderer because James Pak surrendered to police about three hours after killing the teens. James, a long-time Vermonter, moved to Biddeford around 2007 to start the Korean Yankee Landscape company. Susan and her two sons, Derrick, 19, and Brayden, then 6, were his and his wife’s tenants. The landlords and tenants shared a driveway and lived in adjacent apartments with almost side-by-side doors.

According to police reports, tensions between James and Derrick arose when Alivia moved in with the Thompsons. James was allegedly short-tempered and frequently got into fights with his tenants and neighbors over trivial matters. According to court documents, Armit frequently came to the tenants to apologize for her husband’s behavior after James argued with them. Susan claimed that after a fight with Derrick, James tried to barge his way into the Thompson apartment.

On December 29, 2012, James and Derrick got into a fight over the former’s parking spot and the way the teen shoveled the snow on the driveway. James yelled at them and made obscene gestures, threatening to hit Derrick. He allegedly threatened to bury Derrick in the snow by pointing his fingers in the shape of a gun. The latter complained to the police about James threatening and abusing him and his family.

Police officers arrived on the scene, and Susan showed them recordings of James’s threats and lewd behavior. The officers spoke with both parties, pleading with them to calm down and settle their differences in civil court. According to court documents, James was fed up with his tenants and was planning to evict them. He’d made additional threats, yelling that “he had nothing to lose” and that they’d “see [him] in the newspaper.” “It’s going to be a bloody mess,” he said as the officers left the scene.

After the officers had left, James went to the Thompsons’ apartment with his loaded handgun. He stormed in and yelled, “I’m going to shoot you all,” before shooting Susan, Derrick, and Alivia first. Brayden, Susan’s 6-year-old son, was hiding in the back bedroom at the time. While the teen couple died, Susan, then 47, managed to survive by pretending to be dead while lying beneath their Christmas tree. James was arrested for first-degree murder and attempted murder after surrendering hours after the shooting.

About The Author