Manchester City fans have COVID-19 to thank tonight as it saved them a huge embarrasment on a night where they got beaten by Leicester City at the Etihad like a thief.
Leicester City were not just impressive, they were ruthless, devastating and mind-blowing as they annihilated Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City 5-2 at the Etihad.
Riyad Mahrez scored yet again against his former side to give Manchester City the lead but Jamie Vardy restored parity via a spot kick just before time.
Brendan Rodgers’ men came out smoking in the second half as they scored three unreplied goals to make it 4-1 – Jamie Vardy scored another penalty and a brilliant flick while James Maddison scored a goal of the season contender.
Nathan Ake pulled one back for the home side in bid to ignite a comeback but Youri Tielemans added extended the Foxes’ lead via the spot kick again to round off an interesting and intriguing might of football.
Here are five records you need to know
- Jamie Vardy is the only player to score two hattricks against a team coached by Pep Guardiola.
- This is the first time in the history of the Premier League that a team will score three goals via penalty kicks.
- Leicester City have won each of their opening three games to a top-flight season for the very first time in their history.
- For the first time in his managerial career with 686 games under his belts, a team coached by Pep Guardiola concede five goals.
- Jamie Vardy is the first player to win two penalties and score two of them in a single Premier League game since Milan Baros achieved the feat for Liverpool against Crystal Palace in November 2004.
Surely this night at the Etihad will be written in gold in the history of the Premier League as Leicester City completely destroyed Pep Guardiola’s Manchester City.
Imagine if the fans were to be in the stadium on a night like this? They should give thanks COVID-19 no doubt!