Born in Katsina State, northern Nigeria, Umaru Musa Yar’adua, a former University lecturer and Governor of Katsina State was deemed by a very good number of Nigerians as one of the best to ever govern the nation.
His policies on economy, education, infrastructure among others still remains fresh in the hearts of many Nigerians. Little wonder he was widely accepted in almost all the regions of the country.
President Umaru Musa Yar’adua died on the fifth of May 2010 aftter battling with illness for months. He only spent three years in office but those three years were considered more or less the best in Nigeria’s Democratic history.
However, here is a list of 10 of his achievements:
- Reduction of Petrol pump price from 75 naira to 65 naira
- Declaration of all his assets setting a template for others to follow
- Approval of the Dredging of River Niger
- Granting of Amnesty to Niger-Delta Militants
- Implementation of the 18,000 minimum wage
- Construction of the Kaduna-Abuja railway
- Allocation of 10billion worth of allocation to Lagos State local government after Political differences between ex-president Olusegun Obasanjo and Bola Ahmed Tinubu
- Judicial reforms and respect for the rule of law. He said: “I think my greatest achievement is the effort to institute a strict culture of respect for the rule of law in Nigeria.”
- CAF Platinum Award 2008
- Electoral reforms.