Major crackdown is launched to stop bikies from congregating in Sydney’s notorious King’s Cross as the former red light district roars back to life
- Three gang members were banned from Kings Cross venues on the weekend
- Orders are in place for five years as police target organised crime networks
- The bikies were banned from all pubs, clubs and restaurants in the area
- The bans came as police swooped on the popular nightspot in Operation Eris
- Ten arrests were made, twelve charges were laid in overnight police operation
Three bikie gang affiliates have been banned from pubs, clubs and restaurants in Sydney’s Kings Cross for five years in an overnight police operation.
NSW Police say they arrested arrested 10 people and laid 12 charges on Sunday night as part of Operation Eris, which was established to prevent and disrupt crime and anti-social behaviour in Kings Cross, particularly in pubs and restaurants.
Three men, aged 24, 27 and 39, are known affiliates of outlaw motorcycle gangs and organised criminal networks, police said.
Nightclubs, in tandem with police, want to make the Kings Cross precinct safer to attract more people – offering a good night out in the area, while staying safe. Pictured: Patrons enjoying a night out in the suburb last year
They were issued with banning orders, which prohibits them from entering any licensed premises in the Kings Cross area for five years.
One of the men is a senior member of the infamous Alameddine clan, who was stopped in his tracks in his $350,000 Lamborghini, the Daily Telegraph revealed.
He had been disguising the yellow high-end vehicle he is known to drive with a black nylon skin in an effort to fly under the radar.
One senior officer said these gangsters went to such lengths in response to the recent gangland shootings occurring in public places.
More than 20 have been issued the restrictions so far as part of a brainchild of NSW police and the nightclubs.
More than 20 people have been issued the restrictions so far as part of a brainchild of NSW police and the nightclubs
Australian Hotels Association NSW policing director John Green told the Daily Telegraph the industry were in cahoots with the police to stamp out bad behaviour.
‘A multi-venue banning system is where local licensees, in this case the Kings Cross Liquor Accord, agree troublesome patrons are barred from all venues in an area,’ Mr Green said.
Kings Cross police commander Chris Nicholson said the proactive, high-visibility operation targeted known members of criminal networks.
Operation Eris was an initiative to help ensure King Cross was safe for people to enjoy a night out without fear of anti-social behaviour and violence, he said.
‘Operation Eris provides safety and reassurance to the local community, safety for patrons and licensed premises and makes it difficult for members of outlaw motorcycle gangs and organised criminal networks to be seen and do their business in Kings Cross,’ Supt Nicholson said on Monday.
‘We will identify members …. and use available police powers to prevent them entering licensed premises and the broader precinct,’ he said.
Police Minister Paul Toole said it was important for residents and patrons to feel safe in the Kings Cross entertainment precinct.
‘The message is simple, if you are part of a criminal organised network or you associated with one, you are not welcome here,’ Mr Toole said.
Operation Eris was an initiative to help ensure King Cross venues (pictured during lockdown last year) was safe for people to enjoy a night out without fear of anti-social behaviour and violence
If the bans are ignored, gang affiliates can be charged with trespassing.
The Kings Cross area has attracted a three-fold rise in patrons, with 12,000 frequenting the area on a Saturday night, compared to two months ago.
Police Commander Nicholson told the Daily Telegraph: ‘It’s great to see the night-time economy beginning to boom and we want to continue that by making it safe’.
‘Residents should be able to wake up on Sunday morning and not be confronted with crime scene tape in the streets,’ police commander Nicholson said.
‘Even with all the extra people recently there has not been a spike in incidents.’
Police said it was important for residents and patrons to feel safe in the Kings Cross entertainment precinct