Woolworths: Supermarket pulls knives, scissors from shelves after Barkly Square, Brunswick stabbing

Advertisement

[ad_1]

EXCLUSIVE: Woolworths pulls knives and scissors from the shelves of ALL of its stores across Australia after grisly Melbourne supermarket stabbing

  • Woolworths has temporarily taken knives and scissors off shelves nationwide
  • The move follows an alleged stabbing attack at one of its Melbourne stores
  • Two men were injured in the incident on Monday at Barkly Square, Brunswick 
  •  ‘We’re undertaking a risk assessment on our store safety controls,’ Woolies said


Advertisement

Supermarket giant Woolworths has confirmed it is temporarily withdrawing the sale of knives and scissors from its stores in the wake of an horrific random attack at one of its Melbourne supermarkets.

The incident shortly after 8am on Monday morning saw police use non-lethal force to subdue a man after he allegedly attacked a shopper and a security guard at a Woolworths in Barkly Square shopping centre on Sydney Road, Brunswick.

Advertisement

It is understood the man attempted to slice off his own fingers after the seemingly random attack.

A sign advising shoppers of the temporary withdrawal of knives and scissors from sale at Woolworths at Mudgeeraba on the Gold Coast. 'We’re undertaking a risk assessment on our store safety controls before determining our next step,' Woolworths said

A sign advising shoppers of the temporary withdrawal of knives and scissors from sale at Woolworths at Mudgeeraba on the Gold Coast. ‘We’re undertaking a risk assessment on our store safety controls before determining our next step,’ Woolworths said

A policeman stands guard at Barkly Square shopping centre at Brunswick, Melbourne after the alleged attacks on a shopper and security guard on Monday

A policeman stands guard at Barkly Square shopping centre at Brunswick, Melbourne after the alleged attacks on a shopper and security guard on Monday

Signs began appearing at some Woolworths stores yesterday advising shoppers that knives and scissors had been temporarily withdrawn from sale.

Advertisement

One shopper at Mudgeeraba Woolworths on the Gold Coast was told by staff the sign was in response to the attack in Melbourne.

Woolworths confirmed to Daily Mail Australia that it had withdrawn the items from sale until it had reviewed story safety after the incident at the Melbourne supermarket.

‘The safety and wellbeing of our team and customers is our top priority,’ a spokesperson said.

‘Following a distressing incident at one of our Victorian stores, we’ve taken the precautionary step of temporarily withdrawing knives and scissors from sale nationwide.

Advertisement

‘We’re undertaking a risk assessment on our store safety controls before determining our next step.

‘We apologise for the inconvenience and appreciate the understanding of our customers at this time.’ 

Woolworths sell a range of kitchen knives and scissors in stores, including the Wiltshire Trinity knife.  

Witnesses at the scene in Melbourne on Monday described the man verbally abusing random shoppers before attacking a man, aged in his 60s, with a knife wile he waited in a queue.

Advertisement

A security guard who went to the man’s aid was also stabbed before police converged on the busy shopping centre.

Kitchen knives available from Woolworths, pictured on the supermarket giant's website

Kitchen knives available from Woolworths, pictured on the supermarket giant’s website

Shopper Suzanne Stewart (pictured_ told media outlets she'd seen a man 'covered in blood' emerge from the store. 'I was scared, I was petrified,' Ms Stewart said

Shopper Suzanne Stewart (pictured_ told media outlets she’d seen a man ‘covered in blood’ emerge from the store. ‘I was scared, I was petrified,’ Ms Stewart said

Shopper Suzanne Stewart told media outlets she’d seen a man ‘covered in blood’ emerge from the store.  

Advertisement

‘I was scared, I was petrified,’ Ms Stewart said.

‘I just wanted to get away from there. I don’t know what would have happened if that security guard … didn’t step in.’  

A Woolworths spokesperson said the Barkly Square supermarket would remain closed until ­further notice during the police ­investigation.

A 20-year-old man was taken to hospital where he was treated for self-inflicted injuries and underwent a mental health assessment.

Advertisement

He had been charged in connection with the incident. 

Advertisement

Advertisement

[ad_2]

Advertisement
Advertisement

Similar Posts